How to Play Xbox Cloud Gaming and Why You Should Try It
Xbox Cloud Gaming is a service that lets you stream hundreds of console games on the devices you already have, such as phones, tablets, PCs, and smart TVs. You can play games from a variety of genres, from action and adventure to strategy and simulation, with new games added all the time. You can also play with your friends across devices, using compatible controllers or touch controls.
Xbox Cloud Gaming was announced in October 2018 by Microsoft. It was originally called Project xCloud, and it was a way to stream Xbox games to devices like phones and tablets. In September 2020, Project xCloud was rebranded as Xbox Cloud Gaming and made available to all Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscribers.
Here is a timeline of the major events in the history of Xbox Cloud Gaming:
- October 2018: Microsoft announces Project xCloud.
- June 2019: Microsoft hosts a preview event for Project xCloud.
- November 2019: Project xCloud enters beta testing.
- September 2020: Project xCloud is rebranded as Xbox Cloud Gaming and made available to all Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscribers.
- April 2021: Xbox Cloud Gaming expands to iOS devices.
- June 2021: Xbox Cloud Gaming expands to PC.
- November 2021: Xbox Cloud Gaming expands to Xbox Series X|S consoles.
- February 2022: Xbox Cloud Gaming expands to Brazil, Mexico, and Japan.
- April 2022: Xbox Cloud Gaming expands to Korea and Australia.
- June 2022: Xbox Cloud Gaming expands to 27 new countries in Europe and Asia.
How to Play Xbox Cloud Gaming: Why You Should Try It
In this post, I will explain how to set up Xbox Cloud Gaming, how to play it, and what are the pros and cons of this service.
How to Set Up Xbox Cloud Gaming
To start playing Xbox Cloud Gaming, you will need the following:
- An Xbox Game Pass Ultimate membership, which costs $14.99/mo and gives you access to over 100 games on cloud, console, and PC. You can join here: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-game-pass
- A compatible device, such as an Android phone or tablet (version 6.0 or greater), a PC with a supported browser (Edge, Chrome, or Safari), an Xbox console (Series X|S or One), or a select Samsung smart TV. You can see the full list of supported devices here: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/cloud-gaming/devices
- A compatible controller, such as an Xbox Wireless Controller, a Sony DualShock 4, or a Razer Kishi. You can also play some games with touch controls on your mobile device. You can check the controller readiness here: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/cloud-gaming/controller-readiness
- A high-speed internet connection, preferably Wi-Fi or 5G, with at least 10 Mbps download speed and low latency. You can test your connection here: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/cloud-gaming/connection-test
Once you have everything ready, you can start playing Xbox Cloud Gaming in different ways:
- On your phone or tablet, download the Xbox Game Pass app from the Google Play Store or the Samsung Galaxy Store. Sign in with your Microsoft account and tap on the Cloud tab to browse and play games.
- On your PC, go to xbox.com/play on your supported browser. Sign in with your Microsoft account and click on the Play button next to any game you want to play.
- On your console, go to the My Games & Apps section and select Cloud Gaming. Browse and play games without installing or downloading them.
- On your smart TV, download the Xbox app from the Samsung Smart Hub. Sign in with your Microsoft account and select Cloud Gaming. Browse and play games using your controller.
How to Play Xbox Cloud Gaming
Playing Xbox Cloud Gaming is very simple and intuitive. You just need to select a game from the library and start playing it instantly. You can also resume your progress across devices, as long as you are signed in with the same account.
Some tips and tricks to enhance your gaming experience are:
- Use headphones or earbuds for better sound quality and immersion.
- Adjust the game settings to suit your preferences and device capabilities.
- Use the quick resume feature to switch between games without losing your progress.
- Use the capture feature to take screenshots or record clips of your gameplay.
- Use the chat feature to communicate with your friends or other players online.
- Use the feedback feature to report any issues or suggestions to improve the service.
Pros and Cons of Xbox Cloud Gaming
Xbox Cloud Gaming has many advantages over traditional gaming methods, such as:
- Convenience: You can play games anytime, anywhere, on any device you have, without waiting for downloads or updates.
- Variety: You can access hundreds of games from different genres and publishers, including exclusive titles and new releases.
- Value: You can enjoy all these games for a low monthly fee, without buying expensive hardware or software.
- Compatibility: You can play with your friends across devices, using different controllers or touch controls.
However, Xbox Cloud Gaming also has some drawbacks that you should be aware of, such as:
- Dependence: You need a stable internet connection and a compatible device to play games on cloud. If you lose connection or have a low battery, you may not be able to play.
- Quality: You may experience some lag, buffering, pixelation, or audio issues depending on your connection speed and device performance.
- Control: You may not have full control over some game settings or features that are available on console or PC versions.
- Availability: You may not be able to play some games that are not supported by cloud gaming or are restricted by region.
Xbox Cloud Gaming is a great way to enjoy console gaming on the devices you already have. It offers convenience, variety, value, and compatibility for gamers of all kinds. However, it also has some limitations that may affect your gaming experience. Therefore, you should try it out for yourself and see if it suits your needs and preferences.
If you want to learn more about Xbox Cloud Gaming, you can visit the official website: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/cloud-gaming
Or you can watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzV_xrisMko
(1) Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta) | Xbox. https://www.xbox.com/en-US/cloud-gaming.
(2) Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta) on Xbox.com. https://www.xbox.com/en-GB/play.
(3) Xbox Cloud Gaming (Beta) | Xbox. https://www.xbox.com/en-AU/cloud-gaming.